Year-end giving is just around the corner so now is the time to be planning. The IRS says that 40% of all charitable giving happens in the fourth quarter of the year. This means that about a million non-profits, ministries, missionaries are gathering ideas, setting goals and planning right now... are you?
This can be a little overwhelming. To reduce the stress of a big plan, organize your plan by the month. Meaning create a to do list for October, November and December.
Here are some easy suggestions.
Do something that you wouldn't normally do for supporters.
- Send hand written thank yous to all big donors and monthly supporters
- Include a handwritten message in your regular newsletter
- Have 3-5 face-to-face meetings - maybe you'll have to use Skype: that's ok! Share about your ministry over the past year.
- Continue having face-to-face meetings. Note: people will get very busy in December and will not be able to meet up.
- Begin to write your year-end letter. It should only be one page in length, include a pledge card, return envelope, and should tell the recipient how to give online as well.
- Mail your year-end letter between November 24 and December 2. We know some of you only do email and email marketing; sending something snail mail will really make a big difference to your donors!
- Follow Up: I never mail a letter that asks people to give unless I'm going to follow up with them.
- Again, try to setup a few face-to-face ones but remember that it's a busy time a year so you might have to depend on the phone and email.
- Between December 12th-19th send a a 4x6 postcard either of you doing ministry, you and your staff or team, or you and your family. Postcards are cheaper to print because four fit on a single page. Postcards are also cheaper to mail then regular mail, so be sure to ask for postcard stamps when you are at the post office. On the back of the post card have a generic message typed out, "Merry Christmas!! Thank you so much for your prayers and support over this past year. It's an encouragement to have you on our team. If you'd like to make a year-end donation visit https://www.givetransform.org/perception-funding." Use your own wording (and definitely use your own giving link!!!).
We've really seen a large rise in year-end giving from following this plan. Some parts seem insignificant but when all put together it becomes an amazing way to keep your ministry in front of your supporters without being repetitive and annoying.
We've created Launch Pad to help you put a fundraising plan in place, to help you stay organized, and to help hold you accountable.